Sunday, July 12, 2009

Summer time Blues??


The week I headed back to work is the same week we picked up Hubby's boys in NC for the summer. I say summer but it was more like a month. We can't have them the entire summer since we want to give them time w/their grandparents. As the mom of a 6 week old it was a HUGE adjustment for me this year. Last year was pie since we had them for two weeks, Hubby was off of work the entire time, and I wasn't pregnant or a new mom. This year Hubby was unable to take any time off from work and on the days he had to work it was nights. This left me alone with 3 boys whose ages ranged from 6 weeks, 9 years and 11 years. Did I mention the 6 week old was colicy?

All in all I would have to say this summer was a success. You learn from your mistakes so next summer will be handled a little differently. I won't go into details. I'll just say lesson learned and move on. lol.

Their summer adventures consisted of: playing video games (the boys are HUGE gamers), discussions of wrestling, 24-7 it seemed, (oh how I hate WWF, WWE, or whatever it is called, BUT Joseph and Jacob are fans.), swimming at my mom's on the days she kept them (A GINORMOUS HELP!!) and on the nights I was alone and bored, trip to the park, Riverbank Zoo, icecream at Cold Stone Creamery, their first trip to Bass Pro Shops in a downpour no less, their first bb guns, a fishing trip, building birdhouses with Billy, hanging out at the chicken house with my mom, making homemade Father's Day cards, picking and eating wild blackberries, catching their first possum, wrestling (imagine that) with Ace, finding out Tiny and Cocoa like to be left alone after hours of harrassment, feeding and watering our ponies, taking care of LouLou and Toby, riding on the tractor with my Daddy, playing badmitton with the gameset my sister and her husband got them, gosh I could go on and on.

Things we learned from the boys this summer: leaving soap in the tub makes it appear to "melt", a commode plunger needs to be in every bathroom. Joseph can't land on his feet like a cat even if he meows like one, Spongebob and Animal Planet are great for entertaining kids, poptarts are great for breakfast on the go, if a pool is around you will be asked everyday, several times a day, if they can go swimming, towels won't get hung up, light khaki colored interior is not a good idea, and most importantly I can survive as a new mom of three!

Summer is not a time for the blues but boy do we have them when the boys go home. I hate seeing my husband like this when they go home. He loves his boys so much and spending only a few weeks with them during the summer just kills him. I wish things were different for him and his boys but wishing doesn't change anything. I just pray to God nothing ever comes between Holden and Billy. A boy needs his father.

Here are some pictures from this summer: