Sunday, October 16, 2011

Living la vida loca

Here are some things that ground me that I encounter on a regular basis:
• I love to open the utensils’ drawer and discover everything in disarray. Little Man has been in there trying to find the perfect utensil for his yogurt.

• I love to trip over my “work” shoes that have barely been worn since I resigned. They are out of their normal spot because Little Man just loves tromping through the house saying, “I got yous shoes!”

• I love finding our pillows all over the floor along with our bedding. Little Man calls our pillows his bed. He loves to lie on the floor and pretend to “go night-night” with the dogs if he can lure them in. He will even put his “guys” to bed. (guys-his little toys)

• I love to get up from the couch to do something only to come back and discover a little blonde sitting there. “My couch! My couch, Mama!” laughing at his achievement.

• I love to sit down at my desk to write something and discover the pen holder completely empty. I know Little Man loves to draw and my pens are probably tucked safely under the couch or bed, where he forgot them.

• I love to find writing and stickers on the wall. I am reminded, Little Man, has a knack for being creative.

• I love to walk around looking like I didn’t brush my hair all day…because I didn’t. Couldn’t find the brush. The dogs, on the other hand, look outstanding since Little Man brushed their hair, with my brush.

All of these things and many, many more could drive a person crazy, including myself, if we let them. As a family we chose to ignore these things. You could surprise us and come for a visit to find our house in pure chaos cosmetically. There will be toys on the floor, there will be dogs running around, there will be a little blue-eyed blonde running around in a t-shirt and underwear, there will be me, hair a mess, and you will have to move a book or two to sit on the couch, you might even have to stand if Little Man decides to “get yous seat”, but what you won’t find is a child scared to move because he might mess something up. You will find a happy, entertaining little guy that wants nothing more than to get you to smile or laugh at him.

See at our house we live. Yes, we clean up, but five minutes later and it looks like it did the five before. We live and we are happy with that.